If you have been delaying the much needed clean out of your garage or shed, the long summer days now is a good time to hire a skip bin and start.
When it’s done you are going to appreciate your new look garage and you will love all the extra room you have created. Think of the new tools you can buy this summer and all the endless summer evenings you can spend inside your brand new looking garage. It’s time to get stuck in to the purge.
Pre-garage clean out strategy
Inspired but what you have read so far? Before you grab the gumboots and rushed out the door. Stop. Make yourself a cup of coffee and work out a simple game plan on how you want to attack the garage first.
We’ve listed a few helpful tips in this post to get you started. Answering a few question will give you an idea of how much time and effort you will need to commit to this task. Don’t be fooled, this job may be harder to tackle than you realise.
- How long has your storage building been neglected?
- How much junk has been accumulating over the past year?
- Depending on the size of your garage or shed and the amount of clutter inside, choose a full day or an entire weekend to declutter, clean, and organize.
That’ it. The next step is to call Tangoskip Bin Hire Sydney for a skip bin and have the bin delivered so you can start cleaning out your garage.
Take everything out and clean
To start, take everything out of your garage or shed. Seriously. In order to take a full inventory of everything you have, plus clean the floor thoroughly, this needs to be step one.
Once everything’s out, you can—
Get rid of the cobwebs above doors and windows and in corners. Use a duster, a microfiber cloth, or a damp paper towel to spruce up the place by removing loose dirt, dust, and cobwebs.
Clean up spills. If you discover spills as you’re emptying out your shed or garage, take the time to clean it up. When spills happen throughout the year, and they’re hard to access and aren’t damaging floorboards, it’s easy to push off cleaning to a later time. But… now is that time.
Sweep the floor. With everything out of your storage building, you can easily clean your floor. Be thorough. While in the process, look out for loose floorboards, nicks, or anything else that may need repair and make the repairs immediately.
Clean the windows. If your building has windows, wipe down the inside and outside. As a note of caution, do not wash windows with a pressure washer. Instead, use a garden hose. If you use a spray nozzle on your hose, use the light shower setting, not the strong direct jet.
Organize your things into four piles: keep, donate, sell, or throw. Put aside the things you want to keep. Sort out what you want to donate and throw whatever you do not want in the skip bin.
Organise what you want to keep
Now that your storage building is clean and you know which items your keeping, it’s time to organize.
Separate your items into categories such as auto care, gardening, sports equipment, etc. so that similar items can be stored together. Once you see how much you have, you can decide if storage bins or shelving should be purchased in order to properly and neatly store the items. From there create “zones” or designated areas where each grouping will be kept.
Here are some organization ideas.
- Get back some square footage by mounting your bicycles. It gets them out of the way, giving you more useable space and eliminating obstacles which can be easily tripped over. Here are some creative, space-saving ways to store bicycles.
- Don’t let balls, bats, sticks, or any other sporting equipment lay around. Try using heavy duty shelving and bins or repurposing laundry baskets or hampers. If those don’t work for you, here more storage solutions for sports gear.
- Hammer, nails, and other tools are easy to find when everything is kept in its place. Create that place on your wall or above your workbench. Magnetic knife holders or magnetic tool organization sticks are excellent for keeping hand tools, paint brushes, and other lightweight metal objects in sight, organized, and easily accessible. Pegboards can provide additional storage space that will not take up valuable real-estate. Using pegs or hooks, you can hang almost anything. Here’s one example of how a pegboard wall can be utilized.
Put in pest control
Do pesky spiders, ants, pine beetles, wasps, and rodents like hanging around your shed? Perhaps they’ve made your shed their own personal home. Not only can this be a nuisance to you, but it can also contribute to the deterioration of your shed and the items stored inside. If you want to fight off these pests, below are some ideas. It’s time to show them who the boss is.
How to eliminate and prevent pest:
- Remove sources of food, water, and shelter.
- Eliminate water sources. Fix leaks.
- Eliminate potential habitats e.g piles of wood, newspaper, old cardboard boxes etc.
- Stop them from coming in. Patch holes in walls or doors, broken windows, etc
- Use a pesticide e.g. rat trap, fly trap, etc
Skip bin the rubbish
If you made the right decision to hire a bin and have it dropped off outside the kerb before you sort, you can immediately take the unwanted rubbish straight to the bin.
A skip bin is the most effective and easiest way to get rid of household rubbish. You can throw just about any kind of rubbish into it. Broken television, old computers, garden waste, timber, cardboard boxes, old carpet and many more.
Need a skip bin for your garage or shed clean out? Call Tangoskip Bin Sydney today.
is Sydney’s leading skip bin hire. We have a wide range of skip bins for hire from small 2 cubic metre bins to large 10 cubic metre bins. To book a bin call us on 0422 222 468
or email us: Tangoskips@gmail.com