Garage full of junk? No space for the car? If you have time on your hands, now might be a good time to consider a garage clean-out project.The team from Tango Skip has this 5 hacks to clean and organise your garage space.Before you rush out to the garage consider the following pre-garage clean out tips.
- Mental: Get yourself into the right frame of mind. A major project like cleaning out the garage is not something you can do immediately. You have to set a goal and be prepared to see it through. If you are having problem, consider visualising what you can do with all the new space you have created when you are done.
- Physical: There will be time and energy invested. You may have to free up one or two weekends for the task so don’t plan your garage clean out on a weekend when you have other activities going on. Doing it by yourself can be tough so try asking friends and family if they can assist.
Now that you’re ready, let’s go through the 5 incredibly simple garage clean out hacks.
Garage Clean Hack Number 1
Take everything out.You will need to first decide where you would like to put things. The front lawn? A porch? Driveway? If the temporary storage is outdoors, then choose a day with good weather for this task.Begin with one section of your garage and systematically move down until you have cleaned out the entire garage. You don’t have to do it all in one hit if you have too much junk. Work out a schedule of storing and sorting things.Besides making it easier to work, this garage cleaning tip will also allow you to see what space you have to work with and what types of storage might work best when it’s time to organize the items you’re keeping.
Garage Clean Out Hack Number 2
Know where to beginSometimes we become overwhelmed by the amount of things we have in our garage that we do not know how to start.Oftentimes, the garage floor is cluttered, preventing people from parking or even walking around. Start cleaning a garage at the outside door, moving inward and concentrating on clearing the floor.
Garage Clean Out Hack Number 3
Decide on a rule and stick to it.Once you’ve pulled everything out, it’s time to set some ground rules for deciding what to keep. This garage cleaning tip will speed up the process by preventing you from agonizing over each individual item. When deciding what to keep and what to throw away, ask yourself: “Is this item in the garage for a reason, or because I didn’t know what to do with it?” If it’s the latter, either find a use for it or get rid of it.Things to Keep During a Garage Cleanout
- Items you’ve used more than once in the past year.
- Things in working condition. Ditch all those gizmos you’ve been “meaning to fix.”
- Tools you can’t easily rent or borrow.
Garage Clean Out Hack Number 4
Decide What to Do With the Garage ClutterWhatever doesn’t make your “keep” list is, by default, clutter. Don’t let it hang around your garage any longer.With your “keep” items set aside, start going through the rest of the stuff you pulled out of the garage. Identify items you’d like to sell or donate first. Have plastic bins, cardboard boxes or bags on hand so that you can pack up donation items as you work and stash them somewhere out of the way.Bag up or box up junk that doesn’t make the “keep,” “sell” or “donate” piles. If you’ve rented a skip bin for your weekend cleanout, toss the garbage bags into the bin.Some suggestions on how to dispose of your garage clutter:
- List or sell it online. An easy way to make some cash.
- Have a garage sale. Another way to make some cash.
- Donate it to charity. Make sure whatever you are donating is of some value. Charities are not rubbish tips for you to dispose of your garage waste.
- Junk it. There are scrap collectors who will happily come and take your garage waste from you.
- Put it out with the inorganic rubbish collection.
- Hire a skip bin and let the bin hire company take care of disposing it.
Garage Clean Out Hack Number 5
Deep clean the garageWhile you’ve got your garage entirely cleaned out, it might be a good idea to scrub it down before putting things back. In general, the best way to clean up a garage is from top to bottom. Start by dusting off and wiping down the tops of your cabinets, shelves and refrigerator if you have one. Then, wipe down your garage walls and the doors of your fridge and cabinets with a warm, damp cloth and a mild household detergent. Next, sweep the floor to get rid of the dust you’ve shaken loose. Finish up by mopping and hosing off the floor. Allow the floors two to four hours to dry before putting things away.Garage Cleaning TipsRemove motor oil stains using cat litter, dish soap and a wire scrub brush.Wipe away any mold using either bleach or vinegar diluted with warm water.Use a sponge mop to clean garage walls from top to bottom.Sweep and mop floors.Dust shelves. Wipe with damp cloth if there are stubborn stains or a thick layer of dust.Use a fan or dehumidifier to dry out the cleaned space.
Garage Clean Out Hack Number 6
Get OrganizedNow that you’ve whittled your inventory down and finished your garage cleanup, seize the opportunity to keep clutter from building back up. So, what’s the best way to organize a garage? It depends on what exactly you need to store.Best Ways to Organize a GarageUse shelving units to keep frequently used items within easy each.Use cabinets or closets for items you use less frequently.Use a pegboard to organize hand tools such as hammers and hacksaws.Use wall hooks to hold larger tools such as rakes and shovels, or stand these items up in a large, sturdy bin.Group items by category so that you always know where to find what you need—and can easily put it back where it belongs when you’re done.Starting a garage clean out? Call Tangoskip to help you remove your clean out waste. We make your garage clean out so much simpler!Tangoskip
is Sydney’s leading skip bin hire. We have a wide range of skip bins for hire from small 2 cubic metre bins to large 10 cubic metre bins. To book a bin, call us on 0422 222 468
or email us: Tangoskips@gmail.com